The Tea Research Institute (TRI) was first established in 1925 as an arm of the Planters’ Association of Ceylon, in order to enrich the industry through professional research findings. The institute had its early beginnings in Nuwara Eliya town and then transferred to the present location, the St. Coombs Estate in Talawakelle, in December 1929.
Research work is undertaken mainly on field experimentation as well as establishment of demonstration sites for grower education. Even with such use of the estate, it continues to perform as a viable commercial unit. Presently, the St. Coombs has achieved a leading mark, and ranks high among the best quality Sri Lankan tea. It covers a tea extent of 287.16 ha, and also has an outlying division, Lamiliere, with 175.10 ha of tea, with a total tea extent of 462.26 ha.
The sales centre is popular for its high quality St. Coombs tea, which is available at a very competitive price.